Great Australian Road Trip
Ideas, Tips And Suggestions
There are many ways of putting your road trip ideas together and planning your road trip that will suit everyone.
Of course where you go and what you do
does depend on who you are travelling with and what vehicle you are travelling in. That could be one vehicle, several vehicles or a convoy or on an organised tour with a small or large group.
On your scenic road trips you will see beautiful and unique landscapes that you can take stunning images of to keep forever. You could travel with your family, friends or with a bus load of travellers that you will soon make friends with.
Types Of Road Trips In Australia
I have listed six types of Australian road trip, you can combine a few of these road trip ideas together and create a road trip plan that suits you and your travel companions.
Family Road Trip - Are we there yet?
Many wonderful travel memories have been created on family road trips. Australia is a great country for family road trips as there is an amazing variety of things to do and experience for all ages.
Here are just a few of them.
- Enjoy our beautiful beaches, swimming pools, lakes, rivers and other unique water features like waterfalls and thermal pools usually in our National Parks.
- Australia has many fun, water and theme parks like the Adventure Park in Victoria, Luna Park in Sydney and Melbourne, Dreamworld and Wet 'n' Wild in the Gold Coast. There are many more throughout Australia.
- Our unique animals and marine life are a huge drawcard for many families and travellers, there are animal parks and zoos, marine parks, aquariums in every state and territory for families to enjoy.
Road Trip Tour - Organised tours are easy
Australia has many companies that have organised tours to many road trip destinations, attractions and experiences. Everyone will find a tour suitable, you can combine a organised tour with your self drive road trip. Viator www.viator.com
provide many organised tours and experiences in Australia.
- Organised tours cater for all ages, the budget traveller, students, seniors, charter groups, backpackers, families etc.
- The tour companies are everywhere in Australia and cater for every type of tour, from wining and dining tours to adventure tours in the Outback.
- Some tour companies specialise with small groups so you can get close up with the wildlife, experience eco tours and going to remote areas.
Camping Road Trip - The great outdoors
Camping in tents is a special way to really experience the great outdoors. Set up your tent or camper in thousands of campsites throughout Australia. What type of camping is whatever suits you, a basic tent to the fold out camper trailers and caravans with many conveniences.
- Imagine camping in the Outback or Top End near very unique natural attractions.
- Camping in the bush on the banks of a river is fun, it's usually free with many free activities available like fishing, swimmimg, nature walks, campfires and so much more to explore and do.
- The other extreme is camping with all the amenities in a holiday park in or near a city, town or maybe near a beach with all the conveniences of shops and transport.
RV Road Trip Ideas - Love the lifestyle
Recreational vehicles are travelling Australia's roads every where you look. With very little to setup when you arrive at camp they are very convenient and popular - just like a small home on wheels. Here are a few examples of RVs.
- Hiring an RV like a small motorhome is very popular for short term travellers.
- Many middle size RVs are owned and are taken travelling Australia whenever time permits, which could for a few weeks or months.
- RVs like 5th Wheelers and motorhomes can be huge and amazingly outfitted with every convenience and come in many configurations that can be customised to suit your needs and wants. They are usually for the long term travellers.
Motorcycle Road Trip - Cruise the open roads
Motorcycle road trips need quite a bit of planning as they have very limited storage, also limited fuel can be carried to fuel stops need to be considered in planning which roads to travel on.
A large group of motorcyclists could have a vehicle travelling with them to carry repair equipment, fuel, food, bedding etc. Here are some road trip ideas that are popular on our great Australian roads.
- the Great Ocean Road and the Omeo Highway in Victoria.
- Oxley Highway and Thunderbolts Way in New South Wales.
- Gunbarrel highway and Caiguna to Balladonia in Western Australia.
- The Atherton Tablelands in Queensland.
- Tasmania has many great roads for motorcycle road trips.
- Through the Adelaide Hills in South Australia.
Adventure Road Trip - For fun and excitement
Everyone loves a bit of adventure, just depends to what level of adventure you are interested in. Australia has every kind of adventure activity you can think of available.
Tours To Go has many examples of experiences from the leisurely to the extreme adventure that you can include in your adventure road trip ideas.
- Water sports like surfing, parasailing, scuba diving, white water rafting, sailing, jet skis and jet boats just to name a few.
- Motorsports are very popular like V8 Hot laps, off road buggy driving, tank driving, stunt driving, motorbikes and go karts.
- Other adventure activities are paintballing, the Skywalk in Sydney, a bridge climb, abseiling, the Zorb ride, theme parks, trapeze, rock climbing and so much more adventure awaits you on your road trip.
Road Trip Ideas For Where To Travel
Australia's tourism websites have plenty of information for destinations, attractions and experiences and are a great place to start when you are planning your driving Australia road trip.
Each State or Territory is listed below with the website link for your convenience so you can explore your holiday options further if you need too.
Queensland has 10 regions for you to explore they include Brisbane city and south east Queensland, South west and Darling Downs, Townsville, Wide Bay Burnett, Rockhampton, Mount Isa and north west, Mackay Whitsunday, Gladstone, central west and Cairns and far North Queendland.
For More Information www.queenslandholidays.com.au
New South Wales
New South Wales has 8 regions including Sydney and Sydney surrounds, North coast, South coast, Snowy Mountains, Central New South Wales, the Outback and Lord Howe island.
For more information and road trip destinations www.visitnsw.com
Australian Capital Territory
Canberra is Australia's capital city, there is plenty to see and do in the area surrounding Canberra and it is the gateway to the delightful nearby towns in New South Wales.
For more information and road trip ideas www.visitcanberra.com.au
Victoria has 11 regions including, Melbourne, Yarra Valley and the Dandenong Ranges, Mornington Peninsula, Daylesford and the Macedon Ranges, Phillip Island, Great Ocean Road, Goldfields, Grampians, High Country, Gippsland and the Murray River.
For more information and road trip info www.visitvictoria.com
Tasmania has 5 regions including Hobart and surrounds, the East Coast, Launceston and surrounds, Tamar and North Tasmania, the North west coast and Tasmania's Western wilderness.
For more information and road trip maps www.discovertasmania.com
The Northern Territory has 6 regions including Darwin and surrounds, Kakadu National Park and Arnhem land, Tennant Creek and surrounds, Alice Springs and surrounds, Uluru-Ayers Rock, Kata Tjuta-Olgas and surrounding area and Katherine.
For more information and road trip destinations
South Australia has 12 regions including Adelaide and the Adelaide hills, Barossa and Clare Valley, the Eyre and Fleurieu Peninsula, Flinders Ranges and the Outback, Kangaroo Island, Limestone Coast, Murraylands and the Yorke Peninsula.
For more Information and road trip maps www.southaustralia.com
Western Australian has 5 regions including Perth and the surrounding area, Australia's Coral Coast, the Golden Outback, the North West and South West.
For more information and road trip ideas
Related Pages - Road Trip Ideas Maps and Guides
Use Travel Maps To Plan Your Adventure Holiday
Useful Free Online Maps
Using Travel Guides And Road Maps
Distances And Destinations Guide
OR Go to the Site Map to see every Travel Australia page available on this website. Newest pages are marked.
Go From Road Trip Ideas to Road Trip Planner Main Page
Go From Road Trip Ideas to Travel Australia Home Page
Return To Top Of Page